Skip to main content

Farewell to 2017... Hello to 2018

2017 has been a good running year for me. I love stats and being on Strava and having Garmin Connections gives me loads of data to oggle over. I set myself a goal of running 2017 km in 2017 that goal is now 2018 km. A good early year of long runs meant I was ahead of my target by a good margin. This would prove to be a benefit later on as I seemed to lose my motivation from August and not get it back until November.
Monthly Distance 2017
Three of the four ultra distance races were also in the first half of the year, again adding to the overall distance for the year.
I like to finish the year off with a good old run and this year was no exception.
Having signed up for both the 50 mile and 100 mile Chester Ultra races I need to put in some serious training to make the 'events' as painless as possible. Oh I'm not kidding myself, I will have low points in both events but I'm hoping the physical and mental training will help me survive them.
Therefore, the last run of the year was a recce run which starting at Barns Bridge car park in Delamere Forest followed the last section to the finish line in Waverton. It was then cross country back to where I started.
Running towards Beeston Castle

To mix things up more I decided I'd try to simulate the condition I'd be in on the day by reducing my calorie intake during the run, (I seem to fade when running at the long distances even if I graze food throughout the run).
So I found myself worse for wears as I joined the canal path at Warton's Lock for the final leg back into Waverton. This will clearly be an emotional section back to both finishes... It was horrendous! Flat, muddy and boring all equal to a challenge I can't wait to overcome on the respective race days.


For 2018... As I write this I've signed up to four ultra distance races so that should keep me busy with either the training or recovery between them. I'm hoping to smash my running distance target for 2018... Who knows we'll see.

Popular posts from this blog

Rochdale... Moors, mud and fairies

Breaking news... Mad man seen on the Moors. Okay, it was me, but if anyone had seen me grinning from ear to ear and covered in mud, it would be a label. So, this adventure took place on the moors north of Rochdale. Why Rochdale, SSSH, tell no one, but it's a gem of a place. It was once a regular stomping ground when I was instructing potential walk group leaders, but it's been five years and the first time I've trod on the sodden ground in trail shoes. There's something about moorland. To some, the same brown coloured grasses and the endless low rolling hills don't appeal. It is peaceful when you stay on the paths and hectic when you take advantage of the Open Access freedom and wander on a compass bearing. One thing I must always remember to do when I'm out running is to look back from where I have come. If I don't I miss great views. A view through the gate posts There is some much history being consumed by the nature out there on the moors. We ...

Just One Step at a Time

Well, I think I can scratch out the goal of making 2019 the year I would improve my running. Like every well-laid plan, it failed the early stages. Some may take the previous statement to mean I’m dejected about the whole thing. I suppose earlier on in the year after cancelling several ‘bucket list’ events I’d signed up for that would have been a good observation. I’d lost my running ‘mojo’ and the experience of getting it back was as successful as starting a Morris Minor (an old car for all you young’ens) on a cold winter's day... A lot of noise and smoke, but no success.  I was so frustrated. There was nothing physically wrong with me, I just couldn’t be arsed. No amount of ‘internal’ pep talking would get me out of the rut.  So I canceled events. The ever wishful part of me thinking I could get out of the rut, left the cancellations too late, and I lost money. Look at it this way. I got a load of DNF (Did not Finish) without even putting my trainers on. What a cyclo...

A missed appointment and some spooky woods... Why I Run

Having been woken by my dog, Tilly, who wanted letting out, it was then I noticed I'd woken late and wouldn't make the first GB Ultra recce run of the Snowdon 50 Ultra... Great! I needed to get a long run in as part of my training for the Chester 100 Ultra so apologies sent; I planned today's run. I've got a pile of map printouts of runs I wish to do and ones I've ran. I found one around the Clywdians, close enough to make it before lunch and long enough to meet my distance requirements. Let the adventure begin. I like to call my runs adventures because that's what they are. They'll never be training runs or quality sessions. My idea of quality, for running, differs from most keen runners. This isn't a poke at those runners. I couldn't push myself as hard as they do. I'd take my hat off to them, but my head would get cold... I've got little hair on my head! I seem to be alone today... Strange! My run started from Coed Larawyfan which ...